Ants are extremely common pests in Hawaii, and so they might not seem like that much of a concern. However, all ants can become invasive and quickly take over a property, and some of them are more dangerous than others. While some are merely nuisance pests, others can pose significant health risks or cause property damage.
Here are some of the common ants in our area.
- Argentine ants: These ants are dark brown to black and have 12 segments on their antennae. They are particularly invasive because of their large colonies.
- Little black ants: This species only reaches about 2 mm long, and they are a shiny black color. They are considered a nuisance species.
- Hawaiin carpenter ants: These are some of the most troublesome ants in Hawaii because this species can ruin wooden structures as they tunnel through wood to create nests. They are the largest ant species in the state. They are an orange-brown color and have dark rings on their abdomens.
- Tropical fire ants: This species is dangerous to humans because of their painful stings. They are orange to reddish in color.
Seven Tips On How To Deter Ants
No matter what species of ant you're dealing with, the colony can quickly grow larger and spread throughout your home or property. Even nuisance species can contaminate food and food-preparation surfaces and become a problem just because of sheer numbers.
Because ants are so invasive, learning how to keep them out of your home is essential. The first part of prevention is to focus on factors that attract ants into your home. We’ve collected a list of some simple steps you can take to make your home less appealing to ants. While taking these steps won’t necessarily always prevent ants from making a home in your home, they can reduce the likelihood of an ant infestation occurring. The second part of keeping ants out of your Hawaii home is to address issues in the structure of your building that make it easy for ants to make their way inside. Ants are tiny, so this part of the process can be a little more difficult. Here are tips to make your home less appealing to ants as well as tips on how to block off access points for ants and other insects:
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Clean up food and drink spills right away.
- Store pet food in containers with lids.
- Take out the trash regularly.
- Keep outdoor garbage cans fitted with secure lids.
- Declutter and clean often, especially in the kitchen.
- Wipe down pantries often with cleaners.
- Install door sweeps
- Fix holes in door and window screens
- Make sure that doors and windows rit tightly in their frames
- Seal up cracks in the foundation of the building
The Best Way To Keep Ants Out
Whether you’re dealing with nuisance ant species or more dangerous species such as carpenter ants or fire ants, the experts at Able Pest Management can help. With over 20 years of experience, our trained technicians can both prevent and remove ant infestations. Give us a call today to schedule your inspection.