There are many species of pests that we do not have to deal with here in Hawaii, pests that the people living on the mainland deal with every day. Unfortunately, there is one dirty insect that managed to sneak onto our humble islands. You know this pest as the cockroach. Many species of roach live in our area and cause trouble for homeowners. If you don’t want these pests crawling around inside your living areas, we are here today with some prevention tips and a guaranteed solution if they get indoors.
What Do Cockroaches Love?
There are a few things that cockroaches love. The first is moisture. These pests gravitate to moist areas like kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms. The second thing these pests love is accessible food. What you might not know is that cockroaches will eat just about anything from human food to items like paste, glue, toenail clippings, and saliva. The third thing cockroaches love is warmth. If an area is between 71 and 86 degrees they are happy. Finally, cockroaches love places where they can hide. Specifically, they love areas where their backs and their bellies can touch a surface at the same time.
DIY Prevention Tips That Work To Control Cockroaches
In order to stop cockroaches from invading your Hawaii home, you have to implement prevention strategies that make your living areas less attractive and accessible. This is done in a few different ways.
- Make sure your home’s gutters are in good working order.
- Eliminate sources of water build-up around your property.
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures in and around your home.
- Repair holes, gaps, and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation by using a caulking gun to fill them in.
- Address damage to window/door screens and keep unscreened windows and doors closed when they are not in use.
- Make sure your windows and doors are protected with door sweeps and weatherstripping.
- Wash off countertops and tables as they get dirty.
- Mop, vacuum, and sweep floors regularly.
- Clean beneath large kitchen appliances and in other hard-to-reach areas.
- Wash your dishes daily and wipe down sinks after you are done.
- Invest in tight-fitting pest-proof lids for your trash cans.
- After feeding your pets, wash their bowls out.
Why DIY Elimination Isn’t A Good Option To Kill Cockroaches
There is a lot involved in deterring cockroaches using DIY. There is even more involved with eliminating these pests after they get indoors. If you think your home is infested with these pests, we recommend not taking on the problem by yourself. It is our experience that DIY elimination methods are either generally ineffective or potentially harmful to people and animals. They are also a huge waste of money if they don’t get the job done the first time. For this reason, we suggest that homeowners look into professional services. You might be surprised by how affordable and effective it is.
The Benefits Of Hiring A Professional
The trick to professional cockroach control services is picking the right pest control provider. At Able Pest Managment LLC, we offer our customers fast-working and effective options to help them handle roach infestations around their homes and properties. To help you with your cockroach problems, we will first thoroughly inspect your home. If pest problems are found, we will recommend options to get them out fast. If you want more than elimination, a friendly technician will walk you through some of our general pest control plans that are designed to combat annoying, dangerous, and destructive pests like roaches.
Call us now to learn more or to schedule an appointment for your Hawaii home.