Cockroaches pose a constant problem for numerous reasons. If they’re not destroying your belongings or parts of your home, they’re spreading disease-causing pathogens throughout your home. With thousands of species of cockroaches, it’s only a matter of time before one or more find a way into your tropical home. Pest control in Honolulu from Able Pest Management presents safe, alternative methods for removing all types of pests from your home.
Types Of Roaches That Can Be Found In Honolulu
There are about 4,000 types of cockroaches in the world currently. Luckily, only three of them are commonly found in Honolulu. That doesn’t mean Honolulu is lacking in cockroaches, however.
The most common type of cockroaches in Honolulu are:
- American cockroach: The American cockroach grows to be the biggest out of the three roaches that reside here in Honolulu, averaging about two inches in size. American roaches are known to favor the outdoors, but once in a while, they end up indoors while locating food. Their favorite indoor haunts include basements, bathrooms, underneath sinks, and kitchens.
- German cockroach: The German cockroach is the most likely to invade your home. These pesky invaders prefer indoors and have become a common problem in many homes. The reason they prefer inside environments is that they are sensitive to light. They choose similar locations such as basements, kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms.
- Brown-banded cockroach: The brown-banded cockroach prefers higher and dryer spaces than its two relatives. While they head down, brown-banded roaches get comfortable above your cabinets and in your attic.
Cockroaches may seem harmless with their small size and stature, but they pose a health and safety risk to your environment if left to roam freely. Cockroaches carry viruses and pathogens that cause diarrhea, dysentery, salmonellosis, and more. Professional pest control is recommended for proper handling to get rid of cockroaches.
Factors That Attract Cockroaches To Honolulu Homes
Besides the obvious food and shelter attracting Honolulu cockroaches to your home, there are other reasons they might show up. Other factors include:
- Strong odors: Scents like sugar and potpourri attract cockroaches to your home.
- Moisture: Cockroaches can survive longer without food than they can without water. As long as there is a water source, there’s a roach control problem.
- Compost: Materials like cardboard and paper provide fiber to roaches and can draw large quantities to your home.
- Pet supplies: Water bowls are like an oasis for dehydrated cockroaches. Bring food and water inside at night and place pet food in air-tight containers and out of dark areas.
However, scents like lavender, citrus, and eucalyptus can be a natural repellent to cockroaches. If you’re unsure of other factors attracting roaches to your home, contact Able Pest Management to inspect your home for cockroaches and other problem pests.
Cockroaches Are Always Active In Hawaii
Due to Hawaii’s tropical climate, cockroaches are active all year long. While they flourish in summer weather, extreme heat temperatures will force them to seek out homes for more comfortable airflow.
There are a few handy ways you can prevent roaches from entering your home with a thorough inspection of your property listed below:
- Check inside of used appliances or electronics.
- Check inside boxes, packages, and deliveries.
- Seal cracks in foundations, walls, and ceilings (both interior and exterior).
- Replace white outdoor light bulbs with yellow or LED lights.
- Fix leaky plumbing fixtures.
- Keep basements dry with moisture control devices, such as dehumidifiers.
- Ventilate crawl spaces.
- Install locking lids on outdoor trash cans and recycling and compost bins.
If you notice signs of a cockroach infestation in your Honolulu home, call a professional to get rid of the roaches before the infestation grows larger.
The Best Way To Completely Get Rid Of Roaches In Your Honolulu Home
If you are looking for exceptional cockroach control for your Honolulu home or business, reach out to Able Pest Management. We are the best way to completely get rid of roaches and other pests that cross the line and enter your home. Our team will develop programs and solutions customized to meet the unique needs of your home and family today.