Despite the old adage that states ignorance is bliss, if you are a Honolulu homeowner who is dealing with an ant problem, you probably want to know just how those ants are getting into your home. After all, knowing the factors that attract ants into a home is the first step in addressing the issue. That’s why if you want to keep ants out of your Honolulu home, you need to know how they got inside in the first place.
Identifying Ants Common To The Area
While there are a number of ant species that you might encounter here in Honolulu, some of the most common are pharaoh ants, fire ants, and crazy ants.
- Pharaoh ants are generally a pale yellow or red color. They build large colonies usually in wall voids, under floors, or behind baseboards. Additionally, if threatened, their colonies can divide up and form several new colonies, literally multiplying the problem.
- Pharaoh ants are known to spread a number of harmful pathogens.
- Fire ants are a dark reddish-brown color. They build large mound nests, usually outside, but have been known to enter establishments through AC and HVAC systems. Fire ants derive their name from the burning sensation resulting from their painful bites.
- Crazy ants derive their name from the erratic manner in which they move around. They will build their nests inside of wall voids, beneath floors or carpeting, or in potted plants. Crazy ants are mostly considered to be nuisance pests.
Factors That Attract Ants Inside
There are several factors that could attract ants into your home, the primary being the availability of food and water sources. That means things like the improper storage of food and trash could be big factors in why ants have invaded your property. Additionally, moisture issues inside of the home can also attract ants. The way in which ants enter homes can vary. They can enter through the cracks around windows and doors. They can enter through AC units. They might come through cracks in the foundation. They can even sneak in on objects that we bring inside ourselves such as firewood.
Ways To Prevent Ants From Entering Your Home
Because there are so many different ways ants might enter your home—and because they can enter through such tiny little cracks—when it comes to keeping ants out of your home, it is best to focus on limiting the factors that attract them inside. This means:
- Dispose of trash in bins with tight-fitting lids
- Take out the trash regularly to prevent overflowing
- Store food in airtight containers
- Wipe up spills and crumbs from countertops and floors
- Refrain from keeping dirty dishes stacked in the sink for long periods
- Use dehumidifiers to address any moisture issues around your home
- Fix any leaky pipes or water fixtures around your home
What To Do In The Event Of An Ant Infestation
If you have any further questions about ant prevention or if you require assistance in dealing with an ant infestation, contact the pest professionals here at Able Pest Management LLC., and ask about our residential pest control process. This process consists of an inspection of both the interior and exterior of your home complete with a cost estimate, an initial treatment of all affected areas, and regularly scheduled follow-ups to ensure your home stays ant-free. Ants can cause a multitude of issues when they gain access to your home but there’s no sense in letting them roam free. Call the experts Able Pest Management LLC., to protect your Honolulu home from all ant species that may try to inhabit it.